Types of Domain & Technical Guides for Choosing Domain Name
I hope you have read my previous blog about Domain or brand name, and Significance of domain name. Based on industry and structure of brand creation there are different types of domain names available in the market.
While thinking about buying a domain name for your business, brand, or portfolio. You are in the state of mind to take a significant decision. Domain Name is the foundation, brand identity, digital address, and very important asset for your business. The domain name is your brand name. I would suggest it is necessary to research it before purchasing a domain name.
“Your Domain Name is Your Brand Name”
Domain Name Types and Registration
When you think to increase your business online, we have to remember Domain Name will produce a brand name for your business. The power of Digital Marketing will represent the value that you deliver to the uses. SO it’s important to think about the brand name or domain name.
According to Seth Godin, is an American author and former dot com business executive?
Five Types of Domain Name
Generally, people purchase a domain name for easy information sharing, visibility, and popularity. Based on the industry, product or services, demand, choice, interest or profession people buy their domain or brand name. Again as we know domain names remain unique.
Keeping all these points in mind as per my industry research, I segregated domain names into five different categories.
- Personalize Domains
- Generic or Descriptive Domains
- Suggestive Domains
- Arbitrary or Fanciful Domains
- Hybrid Domains
1. Personalize Domain Names
I have seen people purchase domain names by their names only. If you are popular for your work or an expert for any industry then it is good to have a personal domain for your business. It helps when people recognize your business by name.
I mean a personal brand or domain name would be like YourFirstName+LastName.Com. Like for me, the domain name would be santoshsarangi.com. I think personal branding or domain marking works best for specialists, creators, life mentors, guides, open speakers, and other “specialists”.
Pros of Personal Branding Domain
- Best way to explore your popularity and trust and surely helpful for your business to any extent.
- Easy to get domain and more possibility of domain availability.
- You will get a unique brand name that will not be copied.
Cons of Personal Branding Domain Names
- Since your domain name doesn’t say anything specific about what you do, it is much easier to make a shift in focus. However, this can also be a drawback because people won’t know what your website is about without some sort of context or recommendation.
- Sometime people may get confused to spell or pronounce your name. so it is better to take a personal domain if your name spelling is very simple and short.
Are you planning to make your domain or brand name by your personal name? I would recommend please consider the following checkpoints.
- If your name easy to spell and pronounce?
- Check the character length of your name.
- Are you thinking to use your only first name or only last name or complete name? Please think once how you introduce yourself to someone, whether by first name or last name.
Examples of Personal Domains:
- Neil Patel – neilpatel.com – Helping You Succeed Through Online Marketing. A world-renowned digital marketing professional. Neil Patel is an author, entrepreneur, marketer, and blogger. Know more about NeilPatel.
- Manish Malhotra – manishmalhotra.in – is a former Indian model turned costume designer and stylist, widely known for his works in Bollywood.
- Seth Godin – sethgodin.com – He is an Author, Entrepreneur, and Most of all, A Renowned Teacher. Seth is an entrepreneur, best-selling author, and speaker. Know more about SethGodin
2. Generic or Descriptive Domain Name
I personally recommend and like generic or descriptive domain names. Because it very easy and understandable for users what is this domain all about. Descriptive domains are mostly of single generic word or combination of two generic words.
Examples of Generic or Descriptive Domains:
- GiftersStop – giftersstop.com – Online gifts website
- FlowerAura – floweraura.com – Online florist website
- BookMyShow –bookmyshow.com – online ticketing website for the movie, entertainment, event website
It has also an advantage for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). Because the domain name itself consists of exact match keywords. But Google has changed the algorithm in October 2012, Google Exact Match Domain Algorithm Updates. But it is very difficult to get a generic or descriptive domain name because people have already parked such domain names.
3. Suggestive Domain Names
Suggestive brand names or domain names use similitudes and analogies to pass on importance about the business. The implications behind these brand names are more subtle than unmistakable brands, yet may, in any case, remember insights for them to assist you with getting them.
An intriguing brand name may be a genuine word, or it could be a made-up word.
Examples of Suggestive Brand or Domain Name:
- Amazon (amazon.dot and amazon.in )there is no exact meaning. But it is an American multinational technology company based in Seattle that focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence.
- Groupon – groupon.com – Online Coupon site
4. Arbitrary or Fanciful Domain Name
Any original word could be an Arbitrary or Fanciful domain name. It could represent any object or living being name, action name or any kind of official or genuine word.
Examples of Arbitrary or Fanciful Domains Name
- Apple name of a fruit. Apple word is a natural word and it’s the brand name or domain name of the world’s most popular technology company.
- Shell meaning an explosive artillery projectile or bomb. A shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies.
- Neighbourly (meaning – a person living next door to or very near to the speaker or person referred to) and the domain name is like Neighbourly application of google.
It is always difficult to brainstorm to find out a new word to follow a common language. Because you don’t how it will sound according to your business or industry or profession. Initially, it created lots of problems, looks like a powerless brand name, but in the long run, it’s the ultimate one.
5. Hybrid Domain Names
Hybrid domains are like a combination of two or three topics and personalize words.
Let’s take an example like, industry word plus my last name i.e, Digital + Sarangi = digitalsarangi dot com eCommerce + sarangi = sarangiecom for com
Similarly, I believe you must know Manish Malhotra (he is a former Indian model turned costume designer and stylist, widely known for his works in Bollywood) let’s say he wants to purchase a hybrid brand name or domain name then it could be like MM+Fashion = mmfashion dot com or MM+Stylist = mmstylist dot com.
Examples of Hybrid Brand or Domain Name:
- Goinswriter – goinswriter – An Digital Marketing or online marketing website
Technical Guides Choosing Domain Name
Above, we have discussed different types of domain names. I hope you have an understanding of the ideating domain or brand name. Now I will tell you some of my technical recommendations selecting a domain name.
- Easy to remember domain name – short and unique brand name is good for your business
- Easy to Spell – Customer will not confuse and divert to your competitor’s domain
- Easy to Pronounce – Will help for the word to mouth marketing your brand name
- Check Logo icon with the brand name – Your brand name and its logo color combination, font family, font style, and size should be very unique and eye-catchy.
- Dot Com Extension Domain is recommended – the most popular domain extension for your business
- Distinct and Unique Brand Name
- Avoid Filler words and confusingly similar domain names
As per my understanding and market research, there are no such tools where you can find the ideal domain name. I would say it never matters what type of domain it is.
Brand or Domain Name Success Metrics
- how you have planned to position your brand in 3 or 5 years down the line.
- The quality of services or the customer experience you want to give.
- And the most important aspect is the problem you are solving for customers.
Automatically your XYZ domain name will be a popular domain or huge brand name. The brand name is always made by the customer, not you.
If you have decided your ideal brand name or domain name for your business. You could be searching for the right hosting service provider and where to purchase the domain. Please read this special article about “Best Domain and Web Hosting Service Providers”